1. A great way to stay safe when shopping online is to prevent clicking any web addresses that are sent into your email. If you are expecting an email coming from a company, proceed to the actual website and do not click any links. Legitimate businesses do not send emails requesting personal information or account information.
2. Be sure that you're entering your payment details on a safe and secure site. Search for "https://" within the URL of the site that you're attempting to buy something from. If you don't see that or no indication of any website security, then it's probably a good idea not to trust those people along with your account information.
3. When shopping for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as numerous reviews as possible. Reading many reviews can help you get a more general concept of whether or not the product you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
4. When you are searching for a location to buy a specific thing and none of the results are most often from familiar retailers, you should be hesitant about entering your details. Look for security signs from Verisign or Cybertrust, so you know the retailer is not in the market to take your money.
5. If you're considering buying a product online, check out the reviews. The reviews off their people that have used the product can give you a great idea about the product. You might be able to find out the caliber of the product, if this worked as described, and if you should have the purchase.