1. When searching for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as many reviews as is possible. Reading many reviews can help you get a more general notion of whether or not the item you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
2. Never give out your Social Security number to an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you carry on an online store site and find out that as being a requirement, tend not to buy anything from them and shop someplace else.
3. If you find a great product on your own favorite site, search for it in an internet search engine before you buy it. Make note of the model number or brand, and do a quick search to ensure that you can't have it cheaper from somewhere else. You might be able to save a few dollars this way.
4. Before you start your web shopping, ensure that you've got up-to-date antivirus software. Shopping online is a hotbed for suspect websites. Some individuals build stores with the goal to infect your computer with malware. It's best that you take precautions prior to visiting any stores, no matter how reputable you feel they may be.
5. Many online shopping sites offer discounts if you use a "coupon code". These codes can be found online by entering the words "coupon code" along with the manufacturer or name of the website you will be buying from. They could offer a percentage off or free shipping just by entering in a simple code which can be easily found by investing a few minutes trying to find it.